Break the Ice.
What was your favorite childhood TV show?
Bring the Word.
Read 1 Samuel 9:1-3,14-21
- What do we learn about Saul’s appearance?
- What do we learn about Saul’s view of himself?
Read 1 Samuel 10:17-26
- Why do you think Saul was hiding among the supplies?
- How much of a role do you think Saul’s appearance played in the people approving of Saul as king?
Read 1 Samuel 11:1-15
- Why would Nahash agree to allow Jabesh Gilead to try to send for rescuers?
- What was the reaction of the people? Why do you think they would react this way?
- Can you think of a time when you maybe “threw in the towel” before a situation actually played out?
- Why was Saul’s reaction so effective? (The verse highlights both a spiritual aspect and a worldy threat to their livelihood).
- Who does Saul give credit for the victory?
Bring it Home.
- Why does God chose to work through us, and not just accomplish His will on His own?
- If we give God the glory for the victories we experience, do we still benefit from them?
- What does this tell us about God’s love for us?
- What victories can you give God glory for?
- How can we pray for you?