Break the Ice.
What is one place you would love to go if money were no option?
Bring the Word.
Read 1 Samuel 16:1-13
- Why was Samual afraid of Saul?
- Why do you think David was originally left out of this meeting?
- What does God say that man looks at? And what does God say that He looks at?
- Is there a way for man to look at someone’s heart?
Read 1 Samuel 16:14-23
- How is it possible for an evil spirit to be from the Lord?
- Does Saul know about David’s anointing at this point? How would that have affected Saul’s decision to summon who would be his successor?
- What do you think was going through David’s mind being summoned by the king he had been anointed to replace?
- Why did God use David as an instrument for Saul’s relief from torment?
Read 1 Samuel 17:1-16
- Verses 4-7 give a pretty detailed description of Goliath’s physical size and strength. Who else would have stood out physically among the Isrealites? (Refer to 1 Samuel 10:24 – Saul)
- Try to describe what you think the morale/vibe was like in the Isrealite camp after 40 days of taunting from Goliath. What would you be thinking if you were one of the soldiers?
Bring it Home.
Read 1 Samuel 17:20-39
- How does David view himself vs Goliath? Why?
- How does Saul view David vs Goliath? Why?
- Why do you think Saul would agree to send David?
- Why do you think Saul placed his own armor on David?
- What are some areas of your life that you find it easier to approach from a David/spiritual perspective? Why?
- What are some areas of your life that you find it easier to approach from a Saul/worldly perspective? Why?
- How can we pray for you?