Small Group Discussion Guide
Sermon Series: How To
Sermon Title: Guard
Break the Ice:
- Have you ever heard some talk about God and spiritual things and wondered if what they were saying was true or false?
Today this study will spotlight false prophets and their deception
Bring the Word:
- Pseudo – having the ___________ appearance without the ___________ essence.
Prophets in scripture – speak for God.
True prophets tell the truth of God and HIs Kingdom. False Prophets, deceive and lie!
- Read Matthew 7:15-20
___________ New Testament writers give a warning about false prophets.
How does one discern a false prophet, according to verse 20?
You will recognize them by their __________
False Prophets Bear Fruit
Jesus (Matt. 24:11)
Paul (2 Corin. 11:13) They do what ? _______________
Peter (2 Pet. 2:1). They will bring in ______________ heresies.
John (1 John 4:1). What are we to test? ___________________
Jude (v.12) They only look out _____________________
I. Why Are They Hard to Identify?
(1) They __________ like sheep (Matt 7:22)
(2) They perform ____________ (Matt. 24:24)
(3) They have big ______________ (2 Pet. 2:2)
Bring it Home:
II. How To Identify False Prophets
Three Questions to Ask Yourself:
(1) Do they ______________ what they claim? (Titus 1:16)
(2) Do they teach what is ____________ with scripture?
(3) Do they present the ____________ Jesus? (1 John 2:22, 4:2-3)
False prophets and teachers exist today. They are deception and cunning.
However, they have fruit to observe and can be identified by discerning Christ followers.
Close it out:
What was your one compelling take-a-way this week?
Anything changed in your understanding of How to Guard?