Small Group Discussion Guide
Sermon Series: Way of the Wilderness
Sermon Title: Rule #4 – Don’t Settle in the Wilderness
Break the Ice:
- Have you ever made a significant purchase (ex: car, house, furniture, etc) where you settled for less than what you truly desired? Did you regret it?
- Are there any examples where settling is ok?
- Why is settling dangerous in our walk with Jesus?
- In the message, Andy said, “Man’s good is never as good as God’s good.” One of areas where we settle for man’s good is in the pursuit of our own desires. We think we’ll find fulfillment when we live for our selves. However, we find in Scripture that true fulfillment in life is when we recognize that life is not about me.
Bring the Word:
- Read Galatians 6:1-3
- According to verse 1, how are we to respond to people who are “overtaken” by wrongdoing? (“Restore the person with a gentle spirit.”)
- Why does having a gentle spirit matter?
- What are ways we can carry one another’s burdens?
- What is the law of Christ? (See Mark 12:28-31.)
- How does carrying other people’s burdens fulfill the law of Christ?
- Why do you think people settle in regards to carrying one another’s burdens?
- Read Galatians 6:7-10
- What happens when we sow to the flesh?
- What happens when we sow to the spirit?
- We know this to be true, but why is it so difficult to live out?
- Paul said, “Don’t grow tired of doing good.” How can we keep from growing tired in doing good?
- How does remembering what Christ has done for us keep us fueled for “doing good for others?”
Bring it Home:
- Is there an area in your life right now, where you feel like you’ve settled?
- What is keeping you from fully trusting in God’s good for that situation?
- What is one step you can take right now to keep from settling?