Summary: In the last session we looked at the testimony the disciples gave about Jesus. This session examines how the Old Testament prophecies, promises, and storyline testify to Jesus being the Christ. We also learn when we reflect on those promises and prophecies Jesus already fulfilled, we’re given a hope and assurance of the promises yet to be fulfilled!
Break the Ice
What’s an interesting story or fact about your heritage or family?
Bring the Word
Read Matthew 16:13-20
- Why doesn’t Jesus just state who he is?
- What benefit is there to someone else giving testimony about who you are?
- Where else in the Bible do we see testimony about Christ?
- How reliable would it be if Jesus was the only one to ever say He was Christ?
- What foreshadowing or pictures of Christ can you think of in the Old Testament?
- Do those count as a testimony to who Christ is? Do they fit Jesus?
Read Matthew 1:1
- How is a genealogy a testament to who someone is?
- Why is an emphasis placed on Jesus being descended from David and Abraham?
Read Galatians 3:16, Genesis 22:15-18
- Why change the language used for the recipients of the promise from descendants to seed(offspring)?
- How is the seed/offspring promise to Abraham a testament to Jesus?
- What significance is there that Abraham’s promise follows his obedience to sacrifice Isaac?
- Has God’s promise to Abraham been fulfilled? Is so, how?
Read 2 Samuel 7:11-16
- How is God’s promise to David talking about Christ?
- Is this retelling what we learned in the promise to Abraham or is this a separate revelation about Christ? Why?
- Does verse 14 fit Jesus Christ if He is sinless? Why or why not?
- Have all the promises in this passage been fulfilled? Why or Why not?
- Why is it important that we recognize the promises that God has fulfilled?
Bring it Home
Read Genesis 3:15
- What will women’s seed do to the serpent?
- What will the serpent do to the woman’s seed?
- Which is a foreshadowing of the promise to Abraham? …David?
- Can you think of other parts of Jesus’s Genealogy that are used to reveal something about him as the Christ?
- How can we pray for you?
Begin a Discipline
Prayer: Continue what you have started! Add on a short time of reflection for something God has done in your life whether it’s a fulfilled promise, prayer, or need!
Reading: Do you read God’s word daily? Try picking a book(recommend Genesis, John, Matthew, Mark, or Luke) try dividing 1-2 chapters over 7 days. Each day pick one thing that stands out to you.
Already reading daily? Try picking out several verses that stick out and rereading them 1-2 more times before your next set reading time!
- 2 Samuel 7:14 interpretation: When he does wrong=as if he does wrong
- Order of events in promise to serpent are in order of importance not chronological
- “strike his heel” – Christ’s death to bring the blessing of nations in the Abrahamic promise
- “strike his head”- depose of satan to reign forever to fulfill Davidic promise