Break the Ice.
- What is your earliest childhood memory?
Bring the Word.
Jesus Stoops – Read John 8:1-6
- What was the real motive of the scribes and Pharisees?
- What does it mean that Jesus lowered himself to the same position, and perhaps posture, of the adulterous woman?
- Read Philippians 2:5-8
- Because we can’t “higher” ourselves, Jesus lowered himself. What does it mean to you that Jesus meets you where you are?
Jesus Advocates – Read John 8:7-9
- What is an advocate?
- How did Jesus advocate for the woman?
- How does Jesus advocate for us?
- John adds a small detail in verse 9 about the order in which the accusers departed, from oldest to youngest. What significance, if any, do you think this has on the story?
Jesus Forgives – Read John 8:10-11
- Who was the only one “without sin” and able to cast the first stone?
- What did Jesus do instead of condemning her?
- By not condemning her, was Jesus approving of her sin? Why or why not?
Bring it Home.
- Action Questions:
- How should we live this week, knowing that Jesus stoops to meet us where we are, advocates for us against our accusers, and forgives us of our sin?
- How should we treat those around us who are still “caught in the very act” of sin?
- How can we pray for you?
Read John 6 before next week!