Break the Ice.
- What was your least favorite food as a child? Do you still hate it or do you love it now?
Bring the Word.
Read Genesis 4:1-8
- How were Cain and Abel different?
- What did each man bring to God as an offering?
- Why didn’t Cain bring from the flocks and Abel bring from the crops?
- What does this tell us about the offerings we should bring to God?
Read Hebrews 11:4.
- Why did God accept Abel’s offering but reject Cain’s offering?
- Read 1 Samuel 16:7 and 2 Corinthians 9:7.
- Is worship more external expression or internal expression? Why?
- If Cain’s heart wasn’t in the right place, why do you think he brought an offering to the Lord?
- What is dangerous about empty worship?
“Many are afraid of secular humanism or atheism, but dead religion sends more people to hell than anything else.” David Guzik
- Does God give Cain an opportunity to change his heart and motives? (See Gen. 4:6-7)
- How did Cain respond to God’s loving rebuke?What happens when we don’t confront our own sin and seek a heart change?
Bring it Home.
- Close by praying Psalm 139:23-24.
- Anything going on in your life you’d like to share with us?
- How can we pray for one another?