Break the Ice.
- If you could only put one topping on vanilla ice cream, what would it be??
Bring the Word.
Read Judges 6:11-18
- What does God want Gideon to do? (verse 14)
- How does Gideon object?
- Notice that Gideon doesn’t ask for a sign to confirm the mission. He asks for a sign to confirm who is sending him on the mission. How can we know if something is from God or from man?
Read Judges 6:36-40
- Ask someone to explain the 2nd and 3rd sign Gideon requests from God.
- Now what is Gideon needing confirmation for? (He wants to know if he’ll have victory!)
Information Toolbox: It’s interesting that Gideon never asks God to clarify the mission. He doesn’t question what God is asking him to do. Gideon wants clarity to make sure this is God; (Remember, Eve got in trouble listening to a serpent) and clarity to make sure he will be victorious.
- Do you think Gideon’s “fleece” was necessary? Does it display his faith or lack of faith?
Bring it Home.
- What about us? Should we put our fleece’s to test God?
- Read Luke 1:18-20. What happened to Zacharias when he asked for a sign?
- Sometimes God gives a sign and other times he didn’t. Gideon’s fleece seems to be the exception, not the rule.
- Read Romans 12:2. How can we know God’s will for our lives?
- How can we pray for one another?