Break the Ice.
- Tell us everything you know about Ehud!
- Which of the following statements is true?
- Ehud was an old-testament king who spoke 3 languages.
- Ehud was left handed and secretly stabbed a fat king in the belly. (true!)
- Ehud was a dessert wanderer who spent 40 years barefoot.
Bring the Word.
Read Judges 3:7-8 and 3:12-14
- How many years did Israel serve the king of Mesopotamia before God raised up a deliverer? (8 years)
- How many years did Israel serve the king of Moab before God raised up a deliverer? (18 years)
- Why do you think it took longer during the second cycle to return to God?
- How does Judges 2:18-19 support your answer?
Read Judges 3:15-19
- These verses set up the action that is about to happen. What sticks out to you? Why?
Read Judges 20-27
- Ehud first says he has a “secret message” at the end of the last section then at the beginning of this section he tells him “I have a message from God for you” What’s the difference?
- One caused the king to dismiss all his attendants(the possible witnesses) the other caused him to rise from his seat. Why?
Bring it Home.
- After Ehud stabs the King the stench was bad enough that the servants thought he was having a bowel movement and had locked the door. Meanwhile Ehud walks right out the front doors of the palace and through the city gates without any alarm sounding. I don’t think he liked the smell at the time but my guess would be that he enjoyed the “clean” getaway! Have you ever had a not so ideal situation in your life that God used to your advantage? What was it?
Read Judges 3:28-30
- Is there any evidence of doubt in Ehuds opening statement here?
- Notice he says “follow me” but he gives credit to the Lord. What does that say about his confidence?
- What’s one area of your life where you could live a little more God-confident?
- How can we pray for one another?