Read Haggai 1:1-4
- What issue with the people does the Lord point out?
- What do you think is the significance of the Lord using the phrase “these people” instead of “my people”?
Read Haggai 1:5-6
- The literal translation of the phrase from the Lord in verse 5 is: “Put your heart on your roads.” Do you think there is any significance in heart being singular and roads being plural? If so, what do you think the significance is?
- What are the five ways God mentions for consideration?
- What are some causes for someone harvesting little if they planted much?
- Do you think “you eat, but never have enough” and “you drink, but never have your fill” are the same or different? Why?
- Can you think of any conditions that would prevent someone from being warm? Does anything about that condition match up with what you think of the spiritual condition being addressed here?
- Have you ever felt like your money was leaving just as fast as it was coming in? Have you ever wondered, “where did my money go?” Have you ever experienced the opposite with your money? What was different?
Read Haggai 1:7-11
- Why do you think God repeats the phrase “put your heart on your roads” (v. 7)?
- What does the Lord place as 1st priority?
- Do you think the initial reversing of priorities was intentional or unintentional? Why? Gradual or immediate? Why?
- What were the consequences of the people making other priorities?
Read Proverbs 3:5-6 and/or Matthew 13:31-33
- How can we pray for you?
- How can we praise with you?