Read Genesis 27:21-36
- What is the significance of Jacob having Esau’s birthright and blessing?
- From an earthly perspective are there some gray areas in this transaction? What are they?
- Do you think this had an effect on the relationship between the Israelites and Edomites? Why or why not?
- From God’s perspective, is there any gray area in the blessing or birthright?
Read Obadiah 1-7
- What do you think God means by “the pride of your heart” (v. 3)?
- What are your thoughts on Edom’s choice of friends and allies?
Read Obadiah 8-14
- What are some of the things that Edom did to Judah?
- If the Sovereign Lord allowed Israel to be punished, why is He going to punish Edom for being part of it?
Read Obadiah 15-18
- What time period or periods (past, present, future, end times, Messianic times, etc.) do you think this is talking about and why?
Read Matthew 25:31-43
- How does this passage reinforce something you learned or noticed from Obadiah?
- What are the things done by those who are blessed and not done by those who are cursed?
- What are some of the ways these things could be presented as having gray areas from an earthly view? (is it dangerous, am I being scammed, will it take away from my family, etc.)
- How might these things prevent us from following what we are called to do as “sheep”?
- Have you ever used or been tempted to use some of these gray areas to excuse yourself from acting like a “sheep”?
- How can we pray for you?