Bring the Word
Read Luke 2:21-24, Leviticus 12:1-8
- How many reasons for going to the temple are expressed here? What are they?
- What would be the time frame that this is happening?
- Why do you think they are offering birds and not a lamb?
Read Luke 2:25-35
- How does Jesus fit the prophetic blessing given by Simeon in vs 34-35?
- What feelings do you think Mary may have had about this blessing?
Read Matthew 2:1-23
- Why would King Herod be disturbed at the news of Jesus’ birth?
- Why would “all of Jerusalem” be disturbed with him?
- How old do you think Jesus was at the time of the wisemen’s visit?
- How do you view the wisemen’s/Magi’s status in society? Why?
- How does that contrast the status of the shepherds?
- What is significant about the contrast of the Magi and shepherds?
Bring it Home
Read Luke 2:41-52
- Do you think Mary and Joseph were irresponsible or bad parents? Why or why not?
- Does your opinion change if you think what happened was in God’s will?
- What significance do you think there may be in the length of time Jesus was missing?
- Would that add any significance to Jesus’ reply in v. 49? If so what? (It may be helpful to look at different translations).
- Good or bad, how might your life be different if you focused only on “going about your Father’s business?” Is it possible to only focus on that?
- How can we pray for you?