Bring the Word
*Note for scripture passages this week: each section are parallels of each other (Matt 3:1-12, Mark 1:18, Luke 3:1-20, and John 1:19-34 are all the same passage, different accounts). Feel free to read one, some, or all passages!*
Read Matthew 3:1-12, Mark 1:1-8, Luke 3:1-20, John 1:19-34
- Why do you think the bible makes specific mention of John the Baptist’s clothes, diet, and location?
- What is the summary of John the Baptist’s message?
- If we made John the Baptist a modern day preacher or evangelist, who might you relate him to?
- How does John’s appearance, lifestyle, and message contrast the Pharisees and Sadducees?
- What does the baptism by water represent?
Read Luke 3:21-23, Matthew 3:13-17, Mark 1:9-11
- Why was Jesus Baptized?
- What is the significance of the Holy Spirit descending on Jesus?
- What is the significance of God’s words?
- How does understanding the authority we have from the Father affect the impact of our ministry?
- How does operating in the power of the Holy Spirit affect the impact of our ministry?
Read Luke 4:1-14, Matthew 4:1-11, Mark 1:12-13
- What parallels do you see in the way Satan tempts Jesus to the fall of man in Genesis 3?
- What scripture is Satan quoting to Jesus? (Psalms 91:11-12)
- Is there any irony in the verses immediately before and after what Satan quotes? (Psalms 91:9-15)
Bring it Home
- Have you been aware of any time that Satan has tried to misuse scripture to separate you from God’s authority and/or the Holy Spirit’s power? When and how did you notice?
- What do we need to guard against Satan’s schemes? Is there any one thing we can do or multiple things we can do?
- How can we pray for you?