Read Matthew 16:18, 1 Peter 2:4-10
- Who or what is the rock on which Jesus is going to build his Church?
- What promise does Jesus make?
- Why does Jesus say the “gates of Hades” and not just Hades?
- Does this promise apply to the individual entities we refer to as churches (ex. Antioch Georgetown)? Why or why not?
- What is significant about Jesus referring to it as “My Church”?
- Is there a difference in “will not be overcome” and being victorious?
- What all are the believers referred to as?
Read 1 Thessalonians 4:13-18
- What misunderstanding might there have been to warrant this correction?
- What promises are made here? Who are they made to?
- What makes this scripture serve as an encouragement?
- What do we learn about Jesus’s return?
Read Ephesians 5:25-27 Revelations 19:6-8
- How does Christ make the church Holy?
- How does the Church make herself ready?
- Do these contradict each other? Why or why not?
- Why is it important what the bride is dressed in?
Read Revelations 21:9-14,22-27
- What is the representation of the bride here?
- Why might the 12 tribes be represented by gates?
- Why might the 12 apostles be represented by foundations?
- Is there a significance of both being involved in the representation of the bride? If so, what?
- Why would a town shut their gates at night? (Alternatively, why do you lock your doors at night?)
- Is there any threat to the church at this point?
- How can we pray for you?