Small Group Discussion Guide
Sermon Series: Blessed
Sermon Title: The Peacemakers
Break the Ice:
- How would you define peace?
- “Great thoughts of your sin alone will drive you to despair; but great thoughts of Christ will pilot you into the haven of peace.” – Charles Spurgeon
- What does it mean to have peace with God?
- What do you think is the greatest threat to our personal peace?
- Say: In the message, Andy defined as peacemaker as someone who brings the ministry of Jesus into chaos, conflict, or confusion. You can bring peace or you can bring panic. One stems from a life committed to the Spirit. The other stems from a life committed to the flesh. Remember, we cannot bring to others what we first do not have ourselves!
Bring the Word:
- Read Romans 12:16-18
- Paul tells Christ-followers to live in harmony with one another. What makes this simple command hard to follow?
- Why do you think Paul immediately follows up with, “don’t be proud?” How does pride affect our ability to live in harmony?
- There’s a key phrase in verse 18 — as far as it depends on you. What does that show us about the nature of peace? What is our part in pursuing peace?
- Read Colossians 3:14-17
- What does Paul say is the perfect bond of unity?
- Can a person have peace without love?
- “Let the peace of Christ…rule your hearts.” What keeps us from letting peace rule our hearts consistently?
- In verse 16, Paul speaks to the idea of singing. How does singing to God keep our mind and hearts in a place peace?
Bring it Home:
- What’s one area of your life where you are seeking the peace of Christ?
- Spend time praying for one another.