Break the Ice.
- What are some patterns in life that are extremely predictable?
Bring the Word.
A very predictable pattern emerges in the book of Judges. Israel rebelled against God. God brought judgment upon the people through oppression. God heard their cry and raised up a judge, or deliverer. The people turned back to God. And the cycle would start all over.
Read Judges 2:6-10
- How is Joshua remembered in verse 8? (as a servant of the Lord.)
- What’s the significance of such a title?
- What are the ramifications of not passing on your faith to the next generation?
- Who is at fault? The older or younger generation? (both are at fault)
Read Judges 2:11-19
- According to verse 14, what consequence arose from turning away from God?
- How was this generation different from the previous generation?
- How was this generation the same as the previous generation?
- How do we harmonize God’s two seemingly opposing qualities? His firm judgment vs His patient deliverance?
Bring it Home.
- Do you view God more as firm and judgmental or gentle and gracious?
- Read 1 Corinthians 5:11-13.
- Who are we instructed not to judge, and who are we allowed to judge?
- What does Paul mean by insiders and outsiders?
- How should we as Christ-Followers act toward insiders? How should we act toward outsiders?
- How can we pray for one another?