Break the Ice
If you could live in any time period besides the current one, which one would it be?
Bring the Word
Read 1 Kings 13:33-34, 16:29-33
- What was the sin of Jeroboam?
- Do you think Jeroboam’s appointed priests expected the dynasty to collapse?
- What does it say about Ahab that he considered worshipping Baal trivial?
- What do his other sins listed further say about him?
Read 1 Kings 16:34, 17:1-5
- Do you think Hiel knew of the word of the Lord spoken through Joshua? (see Joshua 6:24-26)
- Why place the fulfilling of Joshua’s prophecy between the introduction of Ahab and the introduction of Elijah? (“Those who worshipped Baal believed he was the god who brought the rains and bountiful harvests. So when Elijah walked into the presence of this Baal-worshipping king and told him there would be no rain for several years, Ahab was shocked.” From NLT Study Bible).
- Why do you think God wanted Elijah to hide?
Read 1 Kings 18:1-2, 17-19
- Why does Ahab say Elijah is the “troubler/troublemaker” of Israel?
- Why does our perspective sometimes clash with God’s truth?
Read 1 Kings 18:20-21
- In general, what are some reasons that might cause you to waiver between 2 opinions?
- Could any of those reasons apply to the people of Israel here?
Read 1 Kings 18:22-29
- What advantages do the prophets of Baal have in this showdown?
- Why do you think Elijah taunted the prophets?
- What do you think about how the prophets responded in the way they did?
Bring it Home
Read 1 Kings 18:30-39
- How much time did Elijah actually spend asking God to send fire?
- And what specifically did Elijah ask God for?
- How did the people respond to God’s answer?
- If God showed a display like this today, how do you think it would affect those that do not serve Him? How would it affect your walk with Him?
- How can we pray for you?