Break the Ice
What was something you thought would be easy until you tried it?
Bring the Word
Read 1 Kings 19:14-21
- Have you ever had a time that you could relate to Elijah in verse 14?
- How does God reassure Elijah?
- Why do you think God is having Elijah anoint his own successor?
- Who else is Elijah supposed to anoint?
- Why do you think Elijah replied “What have I done to you?”
- In regard to following Christ, can you think of a modern equivalent to slaughtering your oxen and burning the plow to cook them?
Read 2 Kings 2:1-6
- How many times did Elisha decline to leave Elijah?
- Why do you think Elisha kept refusing to separate from Elijah? Why was Elisha so insistent on following Elijah at this point?
- Do you think Elijah really wanted Elisha to stay behind?
- How do you think the company of prophets knew God was going to take Elijah?
Bring it Home
Read 2 Kings 2:7-16
- Do you think both prophets performing the same miracle has a purpose? What is it?
- Could the dividing of water connect this verse to any other events? (Moses divided the Red Sea, for his successor Joshua the Jordan was divided)
- Have you ever been a part of a work of God started by one person and continued by another? Which part did you play?
- Which part do you think is more difficult?
- How can we pray for you?