Watch this intro video from Pastor Andy about our topic:
How would you envision a physical encounter with God on this earth?
Why Have Prophets
Read Exodus 19:16-20
- Going back to our ice breaker, is this how you pictured an encounter with God? How is it different or how is it the same?
- How might you react if you encountered God like the people of Israel did here?
Read Exodus 20:18-19
- What do the people request? Why?
- Why do you think Moses could approach God but the people couldn’t?
Who is a Prophet?
Read Deuteronomy 18:15-22
- What qualifications are laid out for a prophet?
- What guidelines for recognizing a prophet are given here?
- Why do you think God would give guidelines for recognizing a prophet?
- What is the point of having a prophecy if you have to wait for it to come true to know if it is correct and from God?
- The theory of duel prophecy states that a prophecy is made and there is often a short term application that the outcome can be observed so the prophet can be trusted and a long term application that is then believed because the short term came true.
Read Deuteronomy 13:1-5
- Is it possible for a false prophet to make correct predictions?
- If so, how are we to know they are not speaking for God?
- What does God say to do with false prophets?
- How does this help the people stay true to God?
- Are there things in our lives that can “muddy the water” or make it difficult to hear God’s voice?
Read 1 John 4:1-5
- Do false prophets still exist?
- What additional guidelines do we have from this verse that helps us weed out false prophecy?
- Is there a difference between prophet (or false prophet) and spirit?
- How can we pray for you?