Read Daniel 1:1-7
- In this passage what attributes do we learn about Daniel?
- What are some of the tactics king Nebuchadnezzar uses to assimilate Daniel and the other Hebrews?
- Learning the language and history or removing their heritage, get them used to eating the best foods and thus be dependent on the king for a certain lifestyle, change their names or strip their identity.
- Do you think these tactics were strategically planned? Why?
- Do we see some of these tactics, or versions of them, to pressure followers of Christ to be like the world?
Read Daniel 1:8-14
- Do you think Daniel was tactful in his request?
- What are some less tactful/effective approaches you can think of for this situation? How would they have changed the outcome of this situation?
- How many Isrealites do you think were in this group?
Read Daniel 1:15-21
- Do you think Daniel, Hananiah, Mishael, and Azariah gained any favor in the sight of their peers by following the Jewish law?
- What do you think it would have cost them if they were concerned with gaining the approval of their peers?
- If we compromise to gain others approval, do we know what blessings from God we miss?
Read Colossians 2:6-8
- What jumps out of this verse that reminds you of Daniel?
- Would it be harder or easier to serve God if the only thing you were left with from this life was your faith?
- What if he allowed you a few like minded and faithful friends?
- How can we pray for you?