In the Words of Jesus
Read Matthew 28:16-20
- How long is the process of making a disciple? Of baptizing a disciple? Of teaching a disciple?
- Is there any overlap in any of these three?
- What reasons might there be for the placement of baptism after making disciples and before teaching?
- Does the Bible speak of more than one baptism?
What Did the Apostles Say?
Read Acts 19:1-7, Psalm 51:3-4 (Romans 3:23, Genesis 39:9)
- How does Paul describe “John’s baptism”?
- What must we repent of?
- Who do we repent to?
- How does “John’s Baptism” represent baptizing in the name of the Father?
Read Acts 2:36-38
- What reason does Peter give for baptizing in Jesus name?
- Is this the same thing as “John’s baptism”? Why or why not?
Read Acts 1:4-5, John 14:25-26,
- What does it mean to be baptized with the Holy spirit?
- What are some purposes of the Holy Spirit in believers?
- Is baptism with the Holy Spirit different from “John’s baptism” and/or baptizing in Jesus’ name? Why or why not?
Bring it Home
Read Acts 2:38 and Matthew 28:19
- Besides the physical action of baptism, does the way we are commanded to baptize in Matthew give us further instructions?
- In the physical action of baptism what symbols of repenting, or submitting, to God do you see?
- What symbols of the process Jesus endured for our forgiveness do you see?
- What symbols of the anointing by the Holy Spirit are there?
- How can we pray for you?