What Does Jesus Say
Read Matthew 28:16-20
- What are we commanded to teach?
- How crucial is our own obedience in the things we teach?
- Does our disobedience disqualify us from teaching? Why or why not?
- Can we pick and choose what we teach?
- What are some reasons people avoid certain teachings of the Bible?
- What are some examples of only partially teaching what Jesus commanded?
Read 2 Timothy 4:1-4
- Does this verse differentiate between teaching and preaching?
- Can you do one without doing the other?
- What is the difference between many gathering around one teacher versus one surrounding themselves with many teachers?
- Which is more abundant today: absolute truth or relative truth? Why?
Read Acts 2:42-47
- Why did people devote themselves to the apostles’ teaching?
- Why is it also important that they devoted themselves to fellowship?
- Are these people locals that live in Jerusalem? (Acts 2:5)
- What options did people have for learning the gospel at this time?
- Does the command to teach involve things other than verbal communication?
- How do the sacrifices these people made show the heart of Jesus?
Read Ephesians 4:11-16
- What are some common earthly ways to measure church growth?
- How do we differentiate a church growing “to become in every respect the mature body” from a church growing according to worldly standards?
Bring it Home
Read John 15:18-27, 16:12-15
- Does our talent for teaching or witnessing change the response to the message? Why or why not?
- Does that make you feel more or less comfortable about teaching?
- How does changing or omitting things from what is taught change the response to the message?
- Did Jesus teach everything to his disciples? Why?
- What does this tell us about how we teach?
- What is the difference between omitting something and waiting to teach it? What role does the Holy Spirit play in it?
- Are there some biblical teachings you struggle to share with others? Why?
- How can we pray for you?